PDA

View Full Version : Frigidaire upright freezer with top shelf icing up

Ken Smith
10-03-2006, 07:07 AM
I have a 9 year old frigidaire upright freezer. The top shelf was icing up badly and the rest of the shelves were warm. :mad:

I spoke with a repair guru and he said that these types of freezers have a habit of loosing their seal around the door. He recommended that I put a flashlight into the freezer and turn off all of the lights in the room to see if there were any openings in the seal. :cool:

Sure enough on the top left of the door (the door has a right hand hinge) I could see the light from the flashlight inside the freezer. :eek: The rest of the door seal was tight. The seal looks good in the area where it is not touching the body of the freezer.

My question is...

Does anyone have a tip or trick to fix this? Is there an adjustment that I can make on the door to bring the top closer to the body of the freezer? Is the seal magnetized and maybe it has lost its grip so I need to replace it? How can I check this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken

woodchuck
10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
The following is from AcmeHowto.com. I hope it helps.

The door seals form an airtight seal in the freezer. Mildew can form on the door seals, which can cause an unpleasant odor and can cause the seals to become brittle and crack. If the seals are not in good condition, they may be unable to may a proper seal to the freezer cabinet. This will result in cold air loss, poor freezer operation and increased compressor cycling.
Periodically clean the door seals with a toothbrush and a solution of warm water and baking soda or water and bleach. Gently pull the seal to expose the folds. Be careful not to pull too hard or you might tear the seal.
It is important for the freezer to be level. If it is not level, doors may not open or close properly and may not seal tightly. Also, drainage from the defrost cycle might be impaired as might the ice making cycle. The appliance was engineered based on it being installed in a level position. While there may be some tolerance for out-of-level installation, the appliance will operate at its best when properly leveled.

Place a level on top of the freezer near the front. Do not put it on the door because the door may not be aligned with the freezer case. Check that the freezer is level from left to right. Also check that it is level from front to back.

If it is not level, adjust one or more of the feet until it is level. The feet are bolts that can be turned to raise or lower the appliance. If they cannot be adjusted with your fingers, use a crescent wrench or pliers.