PDA

View Full Version : Slow Condenser Fan? 180 RPM? GE Refrigerator Profile Side by Side

DaaBoss
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
psi23ngm GE Profile SINGLE Evaporator Side By Side Problem

1. I have a freezer not getting cold enough -- 0 - 13 F -- compressor running most of the time. I checked the coils, and they aren't real dirty. Then I noticed the fan seemed to be turning VERY slowly. I could easily stop it by hand. So I timed it... 3 RPS, or 180 RPM --- seems VERY slow. I take it that this is not normal and should be much faster. I'm cleaning the coils as best I can, but I NEED TO KNOW IF the speed is normal. If it is slow, I'll wait to have a spare motor in hand before taking the assembly out, further troubleshooting the voltage, etc.

MAYBE unrelated.

2. The drain tube that has a bend at the bottom is TOTALLY dry. I will bet it might be blocked? If so, where/how do I unblock it?
3. The refrigerator is TOO COLD -- 30-31, no matter what I do. Tried blocking the side vents, and that made it worse.. AFTER I correct the fan issue above, and the drain is working, I want to make sure the panel between the frig and freezer is OK -- HOW? Baffles -- How best to test them?

4. HOW can I put this into defrost mode manually? Find out which mode it is in?

I found the fan with difficulty on the GE site, which seems rather expensive. So, is there a better place to buy it? = MOTOR DC COND FAN illustration # =650 PN= WR60X10209 $65.75

Dan O.
04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
GE Profile Side By Side psi23ngm
That model number is incomplete by 3-letters. Eg. PSI23NGM _ _ _ (The last two are just the color but the one directly after the M is meaningful.) Possible models include:

PSI23NGMA BB/CC/WW
PSI23NGMB BB/CC/WW
PSI23NGMC BB/CC/WW
PSI23NGMD BB/CC/WW
and there may be others.

I have a freezer not getting cold enough -- 0 - 13 F -- compressor running most of the time.
Has anyone inspected the evaporator coil to see its frost patten? It should be uniform across its whole surface.

I noticed the [condenser] fan seemed to be turning VERY slowly... 3 RPS, or 180 RPM --- seems VERY slow.
I don't know its exact speed but that sounds too slow to me. AC refrigerator condenser fan motors operate at 1500 RPM plus!

I found the fan with difficulty on the GE site, which seems rather expensive. PN= WR60X10209 $65.75
It is available for less at the following link.

LINK > GE WR60X10209 Condenser Fan Motor (http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?ap=WR60X10209)

The drain tube that has a bend at the bottom is TOTALLY dry. I will bet it might be blocked?
If it WAS blocked water would be pooling inside the cabinet somewhere after every defrost. Any signs of that?

The refrigerator is TOO COLD -- 30-31, no matter what I do. Tried blocking the side vents, and that made it worse
I don't see how that is possible. The refrigerator compartment is cooled by the movement of air between the fridge and freezer. NO air movement = LESS cooling.

Too much cooling in the fridge compartment can be caused my a malfunctioning air damper. That damper could be defective, the thermistor that senses the compartment temperature could be defective or the electronic control that reads the thermistor data and responses to it could be malfunctioning.

LINK > GE PSI23NGMAWW Air Damper Asm. (http://www.appliance411.com/data.php?ap=AP3775595)

The damper door breaking and hampering its functioning is a common cause of refrigerator compartment temperature problems.

HOW can I put this into defrost mode manually?
AFAIK the GE electronically controlled refrigerators can not be put into defrost manually.

JMO

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site (http://www.appliance411.com/parts/?ref411=GE+Fridge)
=D~~~~~~