PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator water dispenser not working

Sean
02-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I have a GE Profile refrigerator with a dispenser on the front that provides filtered water, ice, or crushed ice. I noticed several days ago that the pressure for the filtered water seemed lower than usual. Then it slowed to a trickle a couple of days ago, and now it's totally off.

When I push the lever, I hear a motor running, but no water comes out, even after several seconds. However, the ice maker seems to be fine. I replaced the internal water filter with the bypass plug, and that made no difference. Could this be a clog in the line between the filter and the dispenser?

This is getting frustrating, as it's the second time it's happened. First time was a $180 repair bill, and I don't want to go that route again.

I'm frustrated and thirsty now... :eek:

Kevin
02-21-2005, 11:18 PM
That was a good start with the water filter, that is the first thing I would have checked.

Next up, it could be a blockage in the water line. Since your icemaker is working, we know water is getting to the fridge. However, I think it is more likely to be a problem with your water inlet valve. It has two valves, one for the icemaker and one for the water. I suspect that it either isn't getting a signal or the valve has failed.

Take a look at our article on how to test the water inlet valve.
How To Test the Water Inlet Valve (http://acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/refrigerator/check/inletvalve.php)

Search for Appliance Parts (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=214&P=69)

AKH24
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I have the same exact problem like Sean's.
Sean, if you're reading this, have you found a better solution since your lastest posting??

Thank you a lot.

-Arthur

fjlabarbera
03-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I know this thread was a long time ago. I just searched to see if there was any history for my water dispenser problem. I have the GE GSS25WGPC CC side-by-side with a chilled water/ice dispenser.
After about ten months, the water dispenser stopped. I found a 5/16" coupling below the freezer door. Following the instructions on a tab attached to the hose, I separated the hose from the coupling. I then actuated the water cradle. Water gushed out of the tubing. The dispenser side of the dual water valve is ok.
I snaked a wire into the hose toward the dispenser until it stopped. I withdrew the wire then measured the length. The hose had a blockage at the lower left edge of the dispenser opening. I didn't know if there was a check valve in the hose. Since it was still in warranty (2 months to go), I called service.
I didn't say anything about what I did to the tech. He concluded that the hose was frozen (there is no check valve or anything else in the line between the coupling and the dispenser). According to him my options were to replace the door (he actually said that) or shut down the frig and let it defrost. I fabricated a double layer cardboard cover for the freezer compartment. I removed the light bulb then covered the opening. In about 60 minutes the dispenser started working again. I have had the frig since 12/03. It just froze up for the sixth time today (3/20/07). GE has offered no help or acknowledging that the frig has an insulation problem.

trascrubgal
03-24-2007, 05:35 PM
OH so I am not the only one!!!! I have had this fridge for about 4 years and have had nothing but trouble with it. I too have had the frozen water line and while it was in warranty GE stated that it was fine. Go figure. I also have had freezing inside the fridge, top shelf as well as the drawers even though the settings are on the warmest settings, guess what, no problem again per GE !!ANyway, be careful, I came downstairs a few months ago to find that the filter inside had frozen and cracked and flooded my kitchen. OMG it was crazy, I do not have the $$$ to get a new fridge non did have the funds to contact my homeowners ins for the carpet fridge ect... deductable!!!!!! Now I have to buy Ice and fill the ice container inside bacause I had to turn off the water to stop the spraying inside from the filter. I have not contacted anyone to repair as it will cost an arm and a leg... if you or anyone else knows what I can do to fix this without going bankrupt in the process.....HELP!!!! :(

mgl
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I fabricated a double layer cardboard cover for the freezer compartment. I removed the light bulb then covered the opening. In about 60 minutes the dispenser started working again.

No need to check the valve, take out the freezer door, or disconnect the waterline. Just follow FJLABARBERA's great solution to this annoying problem with the GE fridge :) My waterline defrosted in less than 30 minutes following the defrosting trick with the temporary cardboard cover. Instead of unscrewing the lightbulb you can also tape the door sensor at the top of the fridge so that it thinks the door is closed when it is in fact open. Thanks FJLABARBERA!

I have now filled the door-racks with boxed items and coffee as i think these may provide some additional insulation and will prevent the line from re-freezing again. We'll see if that will do the trick.

vinnie.f
12-09-2007, 09:39 AM
No need to check the valve, take out the freezer door, or disconnect the waterline. Just follow FJLABARBERA's great solution to this annoying problem with the GE fridge :) My waterline defrosted in less than 30 minutes following the defrosting trick with the temporary cardboard cover. Instead of unscrewing the lightbulb you can also tape the door sensor at the top of the fridge so that it thinks the door is closed when it is in fact open. Thanks FJLABARBERA!

I have now filled the door-racks with boxed items and coffee as i think these may provide some additional insulation and will prevent the line from re-freezing again. We'll see if that will do the trick.

Both of these ideas were effective to my problem. However disconnecting the line below the door is the quickest way to isolate were the problem is. If you got water to the bottom of the door then it is most likely a frozen line in the dr. . I used a hair dryer to the inside of the door to speed the process and a soft very flexable wire to help push the ice block thru. (about 15 min. after all prep completed.) I suspect that the real problem is some how water and ice buildup around the line inside the door since the problem shows up after time then becomes more frequent. I am gone to let door stand open for a while longer, if I end up with water at bottom of door dripping , this will be confirmed. A solution that I read on another site that could be done after the fix to maintain the problem seems like an easy solution to keep the problem to a min. effort. It was sugested to push the smallest dia. of weed wacker line long enough to reach the point that the freeze occours , letting it hang out of the dispenser tube enough that you can pull it out with the ice plug attached then slide it back in place after you flushed the line. I am now dispensing water again thanks to the above help!!

richapplyguy
12-10-2007, 12:45 AM
This problem can be fixed by pulling the dispenser assembly out, repositioning the water line and adding insulation up by the inner panel.
Also, check your back wall freezer temperatures and with the freezer control raise the temperature till the problem goes away. Also, check to make sure there is no partial ice jam to the fridge section making the freezer too cold.

albertth
01-19-2008, 12:19 PM
OK, got a GE side by side back in July 2004. No problems up until a month or two ago. Water dispenser line froze (after much pulling apart, checking solenoids etc.), fixed with 'thawing' the door. Recent 'fixes' have been to insert a multistranded coper wire to the point of the freeze to conduct heat to this point. Seems to work, but these 'lousy' plug and play water fittings aren't up to the 60psi line pressure afforded a frozen connection. Already replaced one water dispenser solenoid as the fitting (only) failed once so far!

Turned freezer down (up...) as far as I dare (using thermometer), but water line still occasionally freezing.

Talking about the door to add insulation etc....... Fairly mechanically inclined, but this seems to be a miserable task that will likely end in replacement of the entire door (based on seeming damage required to get it apart). Any thoughts???

GE suks
03-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Welcome to the club. I had the GE repair service "fix" my frozen water dispenser problem to the tune of $ 216.00. $79 for a house call, $63.00 for the part and $105 for "labor".

It took him 20 minutes to install the part. It is a heat tape that attaches to the inner edge of the dispenser just under the spout. It has a plug that goes into the switch card for water/cubes/crushed. Part #WR49X101173 - you'll find it on-line for $42 at any appliance repair site.

Remove the square plastic cover ( pops off with a screw driver), undo the four screws on the inner panel and swing out the switchplate. The part has sticky stuff on it so just press it into the U shape under the nozzle. Pug it into the circuit board and reassemble. Your done.

I've called and written to GE and their response has been "we have no recalls on that model, have a nice day". If anyone has any other places that I can "bad mouth" GE just let me know.

I know this thread was a long time ago. I just searched to see if there was any history for my water dispenser problem. I have the GE GSS25WGPC CC side-by-side with a chilled water/ice dispenser.
After about ten months, the water dispenser stopped. I found a 5/16" coupling below the freezer door. Following the instructions on a tab attached to the hose, I separated the hose from the coupling. I then actuated the water cradle. Water gushed out of the tubing. The dispenser side of the dual water valve is ok.
I snaked a wire into the hose toward the dispenser until it stopped. I withdrew the wire then measured the length. The hose had a blockage at the lower left edge of the dispenser opening. I didn't know if there was a check valve in the hose. Since it was still in warranty (2 months to go), I called service.
I didn't say anything about what I did to the tech. He concluded that the hose was frozen (there is no check valve or anything else in the line between the coupling and the dispenser). According to him my options were to replace the door (he actually said that) or shut down the frig and let it defrost. I fabricated a double layer cardboard cover for the freezer compartment. I removed the light bulb then covered the opening. In about 60 minutes the dispenser started working again. I have had the frig since 12/03. It just froze up for the sixth time today (3/20/07). GE has offered no help or acknowledging that the frig has an insulation problem.

RegUS_PatOff
03-28-2008, 09:19 AM
WR49X10173

click on picture
http://www.repairclinic.com/dbImages/00001251/00377408.jpg (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1381601)

mikepcap
04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
I've been having this problem for years now, eventually fixing it each time with a lengthy, messy process, and finally found this thread. Based on others' comments in this thread, I was able to solve the problem in about 10 minutes this time with no mess, no fuss, while holding a beer in the other hand :).

I got out the 1500W hair dryer. Set it on high. Opened the freezer door wide, REMOVED all the stuff on the door shelves (ok, I set down my beer for a sec. to do this). It was immediately apparent where the design flaw was. The top shelf goes so far into the door that there is little room for insulation there and that is apparently where the tube is routed. So starting there, I aimed the hair dryer at the upper right corner (toward the hinge) of the door shelf compartment for about 30 seconds. I then proceeded up and down along the inner hinged edge of the door (the flat, white, plastic space between the black rubber seal and the door shelves) from the floor to just above the top of the top shelf depression for another 30 seconds. Then I closed the door and heated up the outter corner of the hindged side of the door from the floor to the top of the dispenser as well as inside the lower left, black plastic, corner of the dispenser niche(removing the little tray first) for a couple minutes total until each were too hot to hold your hand on for more than a second.

Tested for water flow at the dispenser lever.

Repeated about 3 times before the water started flowing fine again.

Probably using the dispenser for a few seconds a day (longer if you notice it start to slow down as one person mentioned) would help alleviate this problem. If someone has taken the door apart to confirm the exact tube routing, it may be helpful to post to optimize this process.

Hope this quick, lo-tech solution helps many others save time and $$ in a pinch.

palmettogal
04-16-2011, 02:23 PM
This my first post to anything EVER, but I had to thank mikepcap for providing such a great and simple solution. I'm a single mom with a teenage daughter, so when things break I'm on my own and I rely on nice guys who don't mind taking a minute to share.

Neither my ice maker nor my water were working. I pulled the fridge out from the wall and vacuumed everything out. Suddenly the ice maker started working again, so I figured just a crimped line or dust had insulated, but water dispenser still didn't work. After 3 weeks with no water, I finally decided to look online and found this thread. I went for the easiest solution first, because we have no shortage of blowdryers around here.

To my complete surprise and relief, after only two tries (no more than 5 minutes), I have water again - no tools needed! Thank you, thank you mikepcap!!

Trioguy
05-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Same as palmettogal, I've never written in a forum either, but had to take a second to thank mikepcap for his solution to the water dispenser problem. My water worked fine yesterday, but got up this morning and no water would come out. I pulled the refrigerator out from the wall to see if I had a kinked line or something, but everything looked fine. I got on the internet and found this forum. I followed mikepcap's directions and used a blow dryer on the inside hinged side of the freezer door for about 5 minutes and a chunk of ice shot out of the dispenser and water spilled all over the cabinets and floor. That was an easy cleanup though and a much cheaper solution than calling the repairman. Thanks again mikepcap.

dmennenoh
05-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks Everyone! We have a GE side by side - water has been fine for years, but the other night - I got a drink before bed, woke up in the am and nothing... Pulled the fridge out and found the dual valve. It was my first thought and I found a new one on Ebay for $23 shipped. Installed it last night and bang - nothing... Did some more searching this am and found this forum. Took a heat gun to the hinge side of the freezer door for a few minutes and some ice and water finally sputtered out. Working great now.

36thirtysix
05-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Everyone who posted on this forum saved me lots of $, time, and stress.

For no reason my water stopped dispensing, even though my ice machine was working fine. I searched online for answers and found them here.

I took the ice cubes out of the icemaker, put them in a cooler then put all the food in the cooler. Turned down the freezer temp setting (made it warmer). Got my beer (only following directions!) and my hairdryer and started heating up the hinge side of the door (inside and outside) as well as the space above the dispenser (inside of the door).

I felt a bit silly, unsure if this would really do the trick.

After about 5 minutes, no change.

After about 10 minutes, I had water magically coming out of my dispenser again.

THANK YOU!!!

d

amgad
05-26-2011, 07:11 PM
For me as well is this a first time to write a forum , but i d'like to take the chance to thank you guys for that good information as well the saving
Special thanks for fjlabarbera

jmpotato
06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Advice worked like a charm. 12 minutes with the hair dryer mostly on the outside so I didn't even have to empty the freezer.

ladybug
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks so much, mikepcap! The hairdryer trick worked perfectly! We thought our water filter must have gone bad and had procrastinated in buying a new one (since we had just replaced it recently). I finally got so tired of not having filtered water that I searched online to see if there could be another cause, and I found this wonderful thread on my first try. Thanks again, mikepcap! Your directions were so clear, and I'm thrilled with the result! :)

Sleverus
08-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I learned long ago to check the simplest things first, so I went for the filter. It was overdo anyway. When that didn't work I looked online and found this thread. 7 minutes with the hair dryer and it's flowing better than it has in the 7 years I've owned it. I wonder how long I've been living w/ the partial blockage. Thanks to this thread for the info. The only thread I've ever found on any topic in which someone actually experienced the same problem, fixed it, and was able to convey the simple answer.
Thank You!:D

Brandi
09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Had the same problem with my refrigerator water and found this solution. I too had tried everything from changing the water filter to emptying the ice tray dispenser. The hair dryer trick worked great!

blessedx4
10-29-2011, 09:28 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU! for posting this oh so simple, but not immediately thought of fix for our problem. We too thought our filter was clogged and replaced it with no results. I searched online and found this thread and saw how many people had had success with it, so we decided to give it a shot. And, sure enough after about 10 minutes the water started flowing again.

One tip I would say is don't get a bright idea like me and point the hair dryer directly into the water line/dispenser...while it worked like a charm, I nearly fainted when the droplet of water hit the dryer and sparked! Fortunately, that was just a drip!

EZSolutions
11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Have a GE side X side fridge since approx 2005/06 and water dispenser just stopped working last week. Ice making/dispensing still worked okay. Paid a repairman $100 to check it out by undoing Quick Disconnect at bottom of freezer door. Water came through tube at that point indicating blockage was in non-accessible tube within the freezer door. Repairman told me I'd have to buy a new door but I should first try emptying freezer and allowing the water line to thaw out, as it might have a bit of ice frozen in the line in the door.
By combining a few tips from other forum posters I devised my own low tech and easy solution that has solved the problem.
First, I cut a piece of cardboard into a shape slightly larger than the approximately 10 X 7 inch recessed opening at the front of the freezer door. I made two 1-inch cuts at the top of the cardboard, near to the ends so that a top flap would fold in and keep the cardboard in place when I wedged it into the recessed opening. And lastly, I pressed the switch that turns on the little light bulb located up beside the dispenser outlet.
The heat generated by the light bulb circulated in this insulated space, warmed up this area of the freezer door and thawed out the water line overnight. In the morning the water dispenser was working fine.
Best not to position cardboard too near the light bulb. Keep it flush with door.
In future, keep your freezer temperature around '0' and run some water through the dispenser a few times each day. Remember to save your piece of cardboard in case the tube freezes up again.( A precisely cut chunk of styrofoam would probably work, too.)
And hope the government doesn't ban those little heat generating incandescent appliance bulbs.

drajkuma
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I've been having this problem for years now, eventually fixing it each time with a lengthy, messy process, and finally found this thread. Based on others' comments in this thread, I was able to solve the problem in about 10 minutes this time with no mess, no fuss, while holding a beer in the other hand :).

I got out the 1500W hair dryer. Set it on high. Opened the freezer door wide, REMOVED all the stuff on the door shelves (ok, I set down my beer for a sec. to do this). It was immediately apparent where the design flaw was. The top shelf goes so far into the door that there is little room for insulation there and that is apparently where the tube is routed. So starting there, I aimed the hair dryer at the upper right corner (toward the hinge) of the door shelf compartment for about 30 seconds. I then proceeded up and down along the inner hinged edge of the door (the flat, white, plastic space between the black rubber seal and the door shelves) from the floor to just above the top of the top shelf depression for another 30 seconds. Then I closed the door and heated up the outter corner of the hindged side of the door from the floor to the top of the dispenser as well as inside the lower left, black plastic, corner of the dispenser niche(removing the little tray first) for a couple minutes total until each were too hot to hold your hand on for more than a second.

Tested for water flow at the dispenser lever.

Repeated about 3 times before the water started flowing fine again.

Probably using the dispenser for a few seconds a day (longer if you notice it start to slow down as one person mentioned) would help alleviate this problem. If someone has taken the door apart to confirm the exact tube routing, it may be helpful to post to optimize this process.

Hope this quick, lo-tech solution helps many others save time and $$ in a pinch.

:cool:Awesome advice. Our refrigerator stopped dispensing ice this Thanksgiving Day, and I promptly ordered one on the Black Friday specials. Total cost came down to $1200, and I was feeling a little down, but as I had gotten used to the dispenser, I was convinced that it was indispensable. I tried every method, from leaving the light on overnight, snaking a wire, trimmer line etc, but they didn't work or were stopped around the dispenser area. Finally, I tried the hair dryer method, and in about 3 minutes, there was a gurgling sound and I finally have water. Now off to Home Depot to cancel the order.

Many many thanks.

tivoliman
12-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I tried drying the inside of teh door.

Then - remembering the postings - I heated teh out side

Yep - the water flowed soon - after heating the out side of the door.

Great information - thanks.

I kept the door open, and heated the out side - by the hinges - and yes - the water started to flow.

BTW - I noticed the water pipe comes into the door from the bottom - so - heat the bottom half of the door - from the out side.

PatsFan!
01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I have a GE Profile refrigerator with a dispenser on the front that provides filtered water, ice, or crushed ice. The filtered water stopped working after the refrig was packed to the top with holiday leftovers (thanks mom). I can't say this was the problem, but the things seem to line up with that timeline.

I was skeptical about the solutions offered on this thread, but after trying them they worked! Here is what I did which took about 10 minutes.

- Finish the beer I was drinking and then get another one.
- Pull out the refrig and unplug it. You don't want it to go into over-drive tyring to keep things cold.
- Get my wife's hair dryer
- Remove all the things in the door, ice packs, storage trays, etc
- Apply the hair dryer heat starting from the bottom of the inside the freeezer door near the bottom hindge and run it slowly up towards where the ice shoot is located.
- Send some heat down the ice shoot. Give it hell.
- Run some heat up from the bottom on inside of the door seal to the ice shoot.
- Run some heat on the outside of the door from the bottom up to the water dispenser.
- Apply some heat into the water dispenser being careful of any water of course.
- Check your dispenser for water flow. If you cut power you'll need to reconnect.
- I had to do this routine two times and then I was back to drinking beer.
- Cheers to all on the thread who figured this one out. Thank YOU!
- Stick it to GE and give this one a try. It really works!

tc137
01-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I have had my GE side x side for 8 years. Recently moved into a new home and changhed the freezer temp to a colder setting then I was in previopus house. About 2 days later (last week) the water dispenser stopped dispensing. Ice maker was still making cubes so I knew it wasn't totally "broke". I searched the web and found this thread.
I cut to fit some insulation board for a new build house and placed in the opening of the freezer with the door open. By the time I could empty the door of the freezer and empy the fridge, the water started dispensing again. Never even needed to plug in the hair dryer.

Great advice!

hapster
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM

This solution worked great! I was done in less than 15 minutes. Heating the inside of the door with the hair dryer is the trick.

I just wanted to add some photos of how to prepare the door.

Hap

DIY-man
02-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Just more verification of the same - frozen waterline in door. The story goes: GE side-by-side, new in 2005, have changed the MWF filter about every 18-24 months, whenever water stops. Water stopped, assumed the filter needed changed. Ice cubes still going (this is a critical condition for this solution to work - if the water AND cubes are not getting water, it may or may not be due to a frozen water line... I'm sure this is in the General Electric FAQ or product problem trouble-shooting chart... HA!). Changed the filter, no water (I did not fill the filter with water, as I have seen recommended throughout this ordeal. Will in the future, I think it's a good idea). Assumed the filter was bad, but very uncertain about it. Found this blessed thread, and off I went. My twist to the procedure: I used packing tape and newspaper to seal the freezer opening while performing the thaw. Also taped the light spring switch off. Instead of a hair dryer, I used one of those portable space heaters. Focused heat on inside, then outside near the floor hinge (watch out for overheating, especially the door seal). Also sat heater on stool in front of the dispenser. Rotated heater every 5 minutes or so to different station. Allowed 30 minutes, since I would have to remove the newspaper tape job to test it out and wanted it to work the first time. And work it did. Amazing that we must go to such extremes to make this product function. I've attached a few pics for clarity.

DougH
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to remove the square plastic cover on the water/ice dispenser, but don't want to break it. Any tips?

Welcome to the club. I had the GE repair service "fix" my frozen water dispenser problem to the tune of $ 216.00. $79 for a house call, $63.00 for the part and $105 for "labor".

It took him 20 minutes to install the part. It is a heat tape that attaches to the inner edge of the dispenser just under the spout. It has a plug that goes into the switch card for water/cubes/crushed. Part #WR49X101173 - you'll find it on-line for $42 at any appliance repair site.

Remove the square plastic cover ( pops off with a screw driver), undo the four screws on the inner panel and swing out the switchplate. The part has sticky stuff on it so just press it into the U shape under the nozzle. Pug it into the circuit board and reassemble. Your done.

I've called and written to GE and their response has been "we have no recalls on that model, have a nice day". If anyone has any other places that I can "bad mouth" GE just let me know.

Dan O.
03-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm trying to remove the square plastic cover on the water/ice dispenser, but don't want to break it. Any tips?
On what make and exact model of refrigerator?

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide (http://www.appliance411.com/parts/tagsearch.cgi)

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site (http://www.appliance411.com/?ref411=GE+Fridge)
=D~~~~~~

bromar
01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
and im going to be that guy to bump an old thread

model gsh25jsx

fridge came with the house we bought, noticed the dispenser would quit working sometimes, and then just magicially work again, after reading everyone elses issues i was almost certain that it was the same issue without even trying anything else since the fridge was still making ice, and i could hear a click and hum of the actuator(the hum made me concerned before finding this that it could be faulty)

decided to give it a shot and pulled out my $12 harbor freight heat gun on the lowest setting, kept at it for about 15 minutes shaking the gun as to not create hotspots, and when done it worked

figured id post a recent reply as this still seems to be the fix

Dan O.
01-04-2014, 06:28 PM
On what make and model of refrigerator? They're not all the same.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide (http://www.appliance411.com/parts/tagsearch.cgi)

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site (http://www.appliance411.com/?ref411=Refrigerator)
=D~~~~~~

Dan O.
01-04-2014, 06:32 PM
One message it jammed and is not displaying. This is an attempt to free it.