Thread: Toilet Flapper

Angry Toilet Flapper

I replaced the flapper on my toilet and it will not stay up to let the water run out. You have to hold the handle down until it is done flushing. The flapper I purchased looks the same as the old one. What have I done wrong?

Default Check the chain length

Assuming that this is a pretty standard toilet, I suspect that your chain length is too long. The toilet flush handle has a lever connected to it, and at the end of the lever there should be a chain that runs down to the flapper.

When you move the flush handle, it pulls the lever *up*, pulling the chain, which pulls the flap up. However, if the flap doesn't get pulled up high enough, the force of the water flushing down the tank will close the flap.

Try shortening the chain a bit. The idea is to get the flapper to be pulled up higher. One way to do this is to pull the flush handle, then see how high the flapper is. If there's more room for it to go higher (ideally up to the water level), then measure how much chain that would be, and shorten the chain length by that much.

You shouldn't need to actually cut the chain to shorten it. There should be a hook that attaches to the flush lever and the chain. Just attach the hook lower down the chain, and that effectively shortens in.

Good Luck! By the way, you posted in the general section, so I'm going to move this over to plumbing...

Default same problem

scott,

i apparently have the same problem. the flapper appeared to be the same size/style and it fits snug like the previous one. it however, drops very quickly and there is no slack in the line...i almost wonder if it's too heavy or if the floating device on it is too small.

any other ideas?

this is really a nuisance. it shuts so qiuckly that it forms a bit of a suction vacuum and it becomes almost impossible to flush it without taking the lid off and pulling the flapper up manually.

I assume if you hold the flush lever down long enough, the tank eventually empties into the bowl?

It almost sounds like the water level isn't high enough - did you make any other adjustments or replace anything other than the flapper?

Another thought - some of the levers inside the tank have several holes for attaching the flapper chain. You may need to try a different hole in order to pull the top of the flapper closer to the lever, and therefore make it more vertical.

One other idea. When you pull the flapper up by hand, as vertical as you can get it, does the flush work then? If not, I think your flapper has flopped and you need a new one, or possibly it is installed incorrectly. If it does flush OK, then you probably have a problem with adjusting the chain and flush lever mechanism.

Thanks Scott. I'll give your suggestion a shot.

Yes, the draining into the toilet happens as normal if the flapper is held up...

The water level is right at the water line, so i'm not sure if it should be adjusted. Litereally, the only changing I made with this mechanism is replacing the flapper.

I hadn't even thought of adjusting where the chain attaches to the flapper. That's what I'll try next!

"One other idea. When you pull the flapper up by hand, as vertical as you can get it, does the flush work then?" Yep, it does. The only problem in this scenario is that it takes me holding the flapper up.

Talking

I would like to share my info on the flapper, I also had problems holding down the handle for a full flush, I went through 3 new flappers, My problem was that I did not cut the end of the tabs off that have the circle part on it I tried the circle part onto the tube no luck when I finally cut that part off and just used the 2 side hooks, it works fine now.
    Something so easy! give it a try and maybe this is your problem also . Thanks for letting me post here!!!! sure saved me big bucks!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple points - make sure the new flapper is adjusted properly. if it is too close to the flow of water, it gets sucked back into place. It needs to be situated high enough that it can just close and seal. Any farther and it won't seal, any closer and it seals too quickly.

Also, as already mentioned, the chain should be short enough that it pulls the flapper all the way up and perpendicular to the bottom of the tank.

Finally, while most flappers should work in just about all tanks, sometimes one will work better that another. If you are confident the instalalton and adjustment are correct, then trying another style might solve the problem.
    - It's not rocket science...unless of course you are working on rockets, then it is. -